Past Questions and Answers


Do you have log repair knowledge as well? Post your remarks after our answer! Just click VIEW ANSWER now!

Please browse the category questions and answers as a form of your question has likely been asked in the past.  If you can't find your answer, The Log Doctor is here to answer any question you may have regarding the repair and restoration of your log home or cabin.  If you are not a do-it-yourself kind of person, please contact us and put all our knowledge and experience to work for you!



Most of the logs in our Alabama cabin are 160 years old. The square logs are 6" x 18" The gap between the logs varies from 1/2" to 3". I plan to re-chink. Dad put pieces of wood between the logs for insulation when he chinked with mortar in the 70s. Should I take out the wood. I was thinking of adding wool rope or Styrofoam behind the grip strip for the larger gaps. What do you recommend?


DO NOT use Styrofoam! It is an open celled foam and gives off gases that will cause the chink to bubble over time. You need to use Grip Strip which is a closed cell foam. Call Timeless Wood Care Products at 800-564-2987 for this. It comes in many width's. You will have to custom cut some of it to fit.

Add your Feedback to this question

Use the form below to post your comments to this question and answer.

(500 characters max)