Past Questions and Answers


Do you have log repair knowledge as well? Post your remarks after our answer! Just click VIEW ANSWER now!

Please browse the category questions and answers as a form of your question has likely been asked in the past.  If you can't find your answer, The Log Doctor is here to answer any question you may have regarding the repair and restoration of your log home or cabin.  If you are not a do-it-yourself kind of person, please contact us and put all our knowledge and experience to work for you!



My grandfather built a log home in the 1970's. Recently we had a family get together and I noticed the logs. That run from a window to a door, about 5' long, are literally starting to collapse out. The door seems to be holding them in place. I'm a contractor but have done built a log home. I plan to build a temp support on the inside to hold up the second level and then remove the door and readjust the logs and install a new door. My question is what should I use to seal the cracks and what c


If you are talking about the splits (checks) in the logs, they should not be filled. If you are talking about the chink lines between each coarse of log then you will want to use Energy Seal if the gap is 3/4" or less, and chink if it is larger. Call Dave at 800-564-2987 for the materials you will need and more help.

Add your Feedback to this question

Use the form below to post your comments to this question and answer.

(500 characters max)