Past Questions and Answers


Do you have log repair knowledge as well? Post your remarks after our answer! Just click VIEW ANSWER now!

Please browse the category questions and answers as a form of your question has likely been asked in the past.  If you can't find your answer, The Log Doctor is here to answer any question you may have regarding the repair and restoration of your log home or cabin.  If you are not a do-it-yourself kind of person, please contact us and put all our knowledge and experience to work for you!



We have purchased this unique, hand-split, rough sewn, white pine log siding home. We are concerned about the many gaps, splits between many of the half logs that exposes the tar paper that wraps the house. Is there a caulking or chinking product that can prevent paper deterioration and accept the preservative we will coat the logs with? Should we be overly concerned about these splits, gaps that show the tar paper? Please see the pictures attached. Your recommendation is valued.

Ron & Sandra


You should definitely fill these gaps. If they are on average greater than 3/4" then you should use Perma Chink. If they are on average less than 3/4" you should use Energy Seal caulk. You can get these products from Timeless Wood Care Products at 800-564-2987. DO NOT fill the checks (cracks) in the logs themselves.

Add your Feedback to this question

Use the form below to post your comments to this question and answer.

(500 characters max)