Home » Questions » Chinking and Caulking » Archive-1858


212 viewsChinking and Caulking

I have 1/2” to 3/4” cracks in some of my logs,built in 1853, an inspector told me I should caulk them. Should I and if so what kind should I use.

If you decide to fill them only fill the ones that are facing up. Put a backer foam in the crack and then fill it with Energy Seal. You will need to inspect these twice every year for separation from the wood. If a hair line crack appears repair it immediately. Water will seep down in behind the caulk and not be able to dry out fast enough and cause log rot. Typically I would not recommend filling checks, but it sounds like you have some pretty large ones.You can get the materials that you need from Timeless Wood Care Products at 800-564-2987.

Free Download

Need to Know Tips to Protect your Log Home This Year

We will never sell your address or spam you.