Anyone ever heard of the term spaulking (sp?). We built a log cabin about 5 years ago. In several spots on some of our outside logs the outer layers of the logs are cracked and separating from the log (just in small areas). Looks like a veneer drying and coming up on a table. When I chip off these loose layers (about 1/8 of an inch) there is good dry log. The logs were peeled and dried as normal before cabin was assembled. What can / should be done for this?

waterloop Changed status to publish April 2, 2024